Chapter Nine : The Chronicles of Chemmis: Awake

Hi Everyone, here is Chapter Nine of Awake:

Chapter Nine
Lindy
Venzu Village – Monday 0530
All time stands still in the Magic Cave, but that did not mean you could not die. The Lamassu that bored down on me was proof of how unprepared I was for this test, and the mission to come.

‘Why are you here?’ growled the creature as it crushed my chest.

Bucking, I tried to dislodge the creature but it was too heavy. Searching for my bag, I saw it a few feet away and cursed myself. I tried to reach for my dagger but the beast bit my hand. and I quickly drew it back.

‘I am a student witching and this is my final test,’ I gasped.

The lamassu, roared with laughter and moved off me. Rubbing at my chest, I tried to ease the pain of my aching ribs.The creature stalked around me grinning at my pain. Drawing out my dagger I pointed it at my attacker and squatted ready for action.

‘You are not ready to graduate as a witch,’ it declared.

Though these words echoed my feelings, it still irked me that this was so obvious to all magical creatures in the cave.

‘What do you know?’ I demanded, ‘You are stuck here in this cave.’

The lamassu stopped its circular pacing and crouched down in front of me. Its human eyes studied me and I jerked away as I felt invisible fingers rummaging through my thoughts.

‘The creatures in this cave know everything. You were sent here to die,’ he said.

Coldness filled me at his words and I started to shiver. These words had an ounce of truth to it. Rezna, made me come to the cave. He convinced the elders and I know he wanted me dead, but my family and teachers, would never do such a thing. Still I none argue in my favor. Frowning I held the creature's gaze. It smirked back at me. 

‘It seems you suspect this much.’ it said.

‘No, you are wrong,’ I shouted.

However, his words had me beginning to doubt those I held dear. My legs were frozen to the spot, and my body shook, like I was standing in a frigid wind. My teeth chattered and dark spots filled my vision. I could hear the creature, but his voice seemed faint. Almost as if he was faraway. The invisible fingers were twisting something in my head and an icicle of pain shot through my skull. The lamassu's gaze held my eyes, and I could not look away. The creature had somehow taken over my body. There was no hope for me, I was going to failing this test.  I let the darkness take me.

The wailing cries of children struck my heart and I got up off the hard ground. It was cold and dark and water was dripping from somewhere. What I thought was a warehouse before was actually a cave. I could see clearly now. A light shone around the corner and I walked on tip toe to get to it. Weaving past fallen rocks, I came to the corner and the light gleamed brightly and blue. Faery light. A blue flaming ball hung in the air illuminating the cave. Little quivering mounds of something moved just under the light. I moved closer and stopped, when I saw what they were. Huddled together, like a group of dirty dwarfs in a mine, where nine children. The missing. They were chained at the ankle and looked like they were barely alive. I let out a gasp of despair, and a little girl picked up her head and looked at me. She had almond shaped grey eyes and pointy ears. A faery child.
‘Help us,’ she whispered.
Quickly, I moved towards her but a hooded figure appeared and held up a hand with a glowing mark on it.
‘LEAVE! THIS IS MY DOMAIN’ a female voice snarled.

I woke up on the hot ground gasping for air. The Lamassu, stood above me staring into my eyes. I felt the fingers in my mind again, but they drew away and the pain was gone.

‘So, this is why they sent you here. You are a seer,’ the creature said.

Shaking my head, I tried to sit up but everything around me tilted and a wave of nausea, swept through me.

‘Lay back down. Premonitions take its toll on the mind.’ the Lamassu said.

‘What did you do to me?’ I asked.

I could recall the vision. Every detail of it was clear in my mind, the ragged children,  the dark cave and the Witch. The witch one with a glowing palm who, shoved me away with a bolt of magic.

‘I unlocked your power,’ the creature said simply.

Indeed, it had done something. This was the first time, I remembered a vision and so clearly as if I was actually there. Then, I thought of the witch blocking me. I was actually there.

‘I was there,’ I said.

The lamassu, sat down and smiled at me.

‘Yes you were. You are very powerful, that is why they want you dead,’ it said.

Shaking my head, I got up. I didn’t have to listen to this. This creature did not know me or my family. The Undine said I was not the one, so why should I believe this creature.

‘I don’t believe you,’ I yelled. ‘My family are not like that and I am not powerful.’

The lamassu, did not even flinch at my rage. He merely lay there analyzing me.

‘Why would I lie? I am Lamassu. We help people,’ he declared.

Glaring at him, I knew this to be true about Lamassu. High Witch Thomas had drilled this into us during our Mesopotamian history lessons. ‘Lamassu helped people fight chaos and evil’, he said. I remember the pictures of statues, of the creature that stood guard at the gates of cities and palaces.

‘If you help people what are you doing here in the Magic Cave,’ I demanded.

The creature’s face grew solemn and his eyes clouded over with sadness. My anger faded at the sorrow in his eyes.

‘The same as the rest of the magical beings here. We are prisoners.’

Even though the undine had said the same, I not believe this. My people were not cruel. Students were taught the creatures in the cave, were volunteers. They wanted to be here, they were happy to test the students. Not one student that graduated ever mentioned this.

‘Why should I believe you? No other student has spoken of prisoners.’ I asked.

The Lamassu, continued to stare at me, as if looking for something.

‘You are the only one, worth telling. You can set us free,’ he said.

Shaking my head, I laughed. This had to be a trick. First , I'm not the one, then I'm a savior. Unsure what to believe I ran my hands through my hair and held onto my head. I had to get out of here, or go crazy in this cave.

No, longer dizzy, I got up and walked to my bag. The creature did not move. I picked up my bag and scanned the dry and dusty landscape. 

‘How do I get out off here?’ I asked.

The lamassu and looked at me.

‘Will you free us,’ it asked me.

I didn’t know what to believe but, I knew I couldn’t stay in this cave. There were children to save and I couldn’t do it if I stayed here with these creatures.

‘If what you say is true. I will free you,’ I said.

The cat got up and stalked to me. I took a few steps back but, then the fingers were back in my head and I couldn’t move.

‘If you promise to free us, you can't go back on your word,' it declared.

Feeling, I could promise anything just to get out of this confusing cave and this creature that could touch my thoughts, I nodded in agreement.

‘I promise,’ I said.

Satisfied the creature let go of my mind.

‘Well then, as long as you promise. I will send you back, but you can not mention what happened here to anyone.’

‘I will tell no one,’ I said.

‘Then close you eyes and think of a place you feel safe’, the cat said.


I did as the lamassu said and thought of the warmth and safety of my home. When I opened my eyes, I was back in room. The watch on my desk said 0530. Dropping to my bed, I felt the weight of my fears leave me. Tears filled my eyes, I has escaped the cave. As far as everyone would know, I past the test, but that was just the beginning. In half an hour the faeries would be here and I would leave on the task force to save the missing. I knew were they were. They were in the caves of Mount Seth. I had to tell someone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Spell

Born with a Caul(Veil)

Angels and Demons