Chapter Ten: The Chronicles of Chemmis: Awake

Chapter Ten
Stone
Venzu Village – Monday 0600
The trip to the Witch’s Village was quick on horse back. We moved swiftly via a portal near the Moat of Castle Five Rock. Still, I felt as if my life was moving in slow motion, like in a human horror movie. I was stuck in the scene just before the victim meets the killer. You check everything and it all seems in order, but still there is a sense that you missed something important. I had that feeling now. As if we were going in the wrong direction, or asking the wrong questions.

My melancholy could be related to the fact that I did not sleep much after my visit to the Mellow Marsh. On returning to the castle, I was exhausted but sleep would not come. I wandered the halls and met my best friend Alex who was on patrol. She told me what I had missed the day before. The elders had decided a Finders Task Force would be formed, with members from all clans on Chemmis. Faeries, Witches, Magi-pi, Seior and Neche would work together to find the missing, and I selected to be on this force.  It was then that I told Alex everything I knew. All  except for what Granna told me two nights ago.
‘So you think two powerful seers are stealing the children?’ Alex asked.
We stood at the south corner of the castle where she stood watch. A warm summer breeze, blew tendrils of her golden hair over her face, and she looked more like a maiden than a King’s Guard.
‘That’s what the prophecy’s point to,’ I said.
She paced the along the stone edge sword at her hip and shot me a confused look.
‘It doesn’t make sense though? Why steal children?’ Alex asked.
That’s the thing that puzzled me as well. Children were not powerful. They could not make up an army and their powers were weak until the age of thirteen. All those that were missing were between the age of six and ten.
‘That’s what we need to find out,’ I said.
Alex scanned the surrounding forest. It was quiet tonight, no faeries dancing and singing in the woods. Nobody dared venture out off the castle walls after dark anymore. These kidnappers had the whole of Vira Na Nog scared.
‘I heard the brigade members whispering about something yesterday,’ she said.
She came to stand close to me, so her words did not travel far. The castle walls had ears in the form of nosy sprites that could relay tales to those willing to listen.
‘It seemed like nonsense at the time but now…’ she looked at me worry creasing her brows.
‘What did they say?’ I asked.
‘They were talking about a vision your grandmother had last week. Something about children breaking the leylines of Chemmis,’ she said.
Appalled that no-one had mention this to me, I simply stared at Alex.
‘Why didn’t you mention this before?’ I demanded.
Alex glared back at me.
‘Because it was ridiculous to even consider. This island has been floating for centuries and its magic is unbreakable,’ she spat at me.
Alex moved back to the south corner and glared at me. She was upset, but more than that she was afraid. Afraid that this could be true. If it was, it was the end of us. If the leylines broke, Chemmis would float back to Earth and the persecutions would start again. Magical creatures would be hunted and burned.
I walked to Alex. She turned away from me. I thought I saw her eyes shimmer with tears.
‘We won’t let this happen,’ I said.
I don’t know why I believed this, but I knew this could be stopped.
‘Tomorrow, we are going to start the search and we will find the children,’ I promised.
Alex didn’t look convinced but the fear in her eyes subsided. She leaned into me, and we gazed at our beautiful lands untouched by our worries.
‘How can you be so sure?’ she asked.
‘I just have a feeling,’ I said.
She laughed at that and I was happy to see her smile. I had never had my grandmother’s power of premonition but sometimes my feelings were right on. We stood there gazing at the forest and the meadows beyond. The sky began to lighten at the east. A soft purple glow formed and spread outwards warming our our bones, a perfect Chemmis sunrise. I felt content then, as if I could win all battles ahead. I did not know this was the last time I would feel this way.

There was little time to sleep when I got back to my room, but I managed a few minutes, before the noise began. The castle was awake and everyone was running about in a flurry. Warriors were having their morning drills in the courtyard and the Magi-pi not coming on the mission were getting ready to go home.

The Magi-pi warriors were here from yesterday and we would meet the Seoir and Neche after we picked up the Venzu at their village this morning. Elves and brownies were busy stocking up on provisions. Some took food and perishables to the underground stores, and others packed saddle bags for the journey ahead.
The castle gates would be sealed after we left this morning. The gates would remain closed until we returned with the children, or the kidnappers were caught. The fey did not want to loose anymore children.

During one of the numerous meetings my father had held in my absence the elders of the Elvin High Court had arrived. They selected the three faeries who would go on a Task Force to find the missing. Myself, Alex and Casey. Two members from the Magi-pi, Alfius and Jabu volunteered to join us. Word was sent to the other clans to select worthy warriors. We would all met by the end of the day and then the real task would began. The search for the children.

My father had asked for me once or twice yesterday, but Alex had covered for me. Needless to say father found me this morning.
‘Where have you been,’ he asked.
‘Following up on a lead General Casey gave me,’ I said.
He muttered something under his breath and looked disgruntled.
‘Did you find anything?’ he asked.
‘Yes, but its vague. A witch may be involved in the disappearances,’ I said and watched his face closely for a reaction.
He turned ghostly pale and he nodded.
‘I think you may be right,’ he said.
Amazed, he actually agreed with my conclusion. It gave me confidence to draw more information from him.
‘You know more about this than you have told the others, don’t you?’ I asked
Father didn’t say yes but his face indicated I was correct.
‘You have to tell the others. It will help us find the children,’ I said.
He ran a hand through his hair.
‘I told Casey and he will tell you everything when you meet the rest of your team,’ he said.
‘Why not tell us now?’ I asked.
He shook his head.
‘It’s better if you find out together, and that’s all I’m going to say on this matter’ he said.
I wanted to argue and demand he tell me more, but the look on his face made me stop. He pulled me into his arms, and held me in a tight embrace.
‘Good luck my son,’ he said.
Then he released me and walked away. I wanted to shout at his retreating back, but I knew it would do no good. So, I walked the opposite way. Away from my father and away from my life as a faery prince.

The portal we used this morning opened up a mile away from the Venzu Village. The circular hamlet loomed ahead in the east, camouflaged by large trees and magic, but I could see through the facade. A group of warriors were waiting for us at the portal and lead the way to the village.

Ridding side by side with Alex, made me feel a little less hopeless. She was a great fighter and a marvelous tracker - the lady sith. Also, General Casey riding in front of us, had won more battles than there were war stories. The magi-pi warriors were also amazingly strong and adaptable. They could survived in all terrains and with little food or water. They also had a connection to the spirits which we would need to find the missing. All in all we were a formidable lot already. I only hoped it would be enough. Most of all I hoped, I would be able to play my part as well as the others. My thoughts flicked to what Granna said, and I stowed her words away. Fate is what you make, and I was going to make mine good.
‘Do you think the seers live here, with the Venzu people?’ Alex asked.
I shrugged my shoulders. I didn’t know where I would meet them, but all signs lead me to believe it would be on this quest.
‘I don’t know. Maybe,’ I whispered back.
Alex had her fighter face on.
‘I hope they are. Then I can kill them and save the children, already.’ she said.
If only it was going to be so simple, I thought.
 ‘We stop here,’ a tall Venzu warrior said.
Patting my horse’s mane, I stalled Ultan. He whined and I rubbed his flank. The village was surrounded by twelve foot wooden fences with lookouts at every few meters. Great doors sealed the entrance, and they creaked open allowing four figures to walk through the crack. Two females and two male witches came forward and I straighten on my stead.
The green eyes of a girl met mine and a felt a stab to my gut. She looked familiar, but how could it be? I never met a witchling before. I knew I was starring but I couldn’t look away. Her face grew red and she gazed downwards at her shoes. Alex poked me in the ribs and I finally glanced away.

I didn’t know if she was the girl in Granna’s vision. If she was one of the seers, but I resolved to despise all female witches from this moment on. It was the only way, I could save Chemmis. If I hated the seer it would be easier to kill her, when the time came.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Spell

Born with a Caul(Veil)

Angels and Demons