The Chronicles of Chemmis: Awake : Chapter Four


CHAPTER FOUR

STONE

Vira-na-Nog Province

 0800 Sunday

‘What do you mean? They have just disappeared’ my father’s voice boomed so loudly out of the library, that the crystal chandelier's in the hallway shook in protest.

Not wanting to disturb an important meeting, I hovered at the threshold, but stole a glance inside the library. Father and General Casey were at the far end, standing in the King’s favourite alcove. The fire was already lit, an indicator that I was not the only early riser this morning. Father must have gotten up before dawn.

General Casey was cool as an iceberg in his pale-blue Guards uniform, which contrast with father’s fire-red morning jacket, and his smoldering gaze. An image of fire lashing at ice drifted through my mind, as I watched them argue.

 ‘We sent out four scouts two days ago. By dawn today they had covered all quadrants of the Shire, but there are still no new signs of them,’General Casey said.

‘So, you are telling me, that your brigade have simply vanished with two noble changelings and you don’t know where they are,’ he said.

Father moved forward until he was almost nose-to-nose with the General, his fire magic flared wildly for a second from both his fists. Casey didn’t even blink, he simply held his ground and glared back at him. This drew a small smile from me, no other faery would be so bold with the king but these two had a long history together, and even I did not know all their secrets.

 ‘It’s not as simple as that Aodhan. It’s almost as if they were… Taken,’ Casey argued.

 ‘Taken? Now you are spinning a tale. Who in all of Chemmis would be powerful enough to take three brigade members without leaving a sign of a fight?’ father demanded.

Casey shook his head, his brow creased with worry.

‘That is what concerns me. No one in Chemmis has that kind of power. Maybe… we should consider your mother’s prophecy? Casey said.

Father laughed stepped back. He walked to the fireplace and picked up his goblet resting on the mantel.

‘My mother’s days of predicting the future are over. Nothing she has seen in the last twenty years has come to pass,’ he said taking a drink from the goblet.

‘This may be true but we have to consider what she said last week, in light of this disappearance,’ Casey said.

I frowned at his words. What was he talking about? Father never said anything about a prediction last week. Leaning in closer, I listened intently.

‘Casey, enough! This is not up for discussion,’ father said slamming the goblet back down. Golden liquid sloshed out of the cup.

‘..but Adohan if we just take her to the campsite, maybe she can give us something to go on…’ Casey, said.

Father’s eyes glowed bright green with anger and fire now flickered out of his palms and up his wrists. General Casey stilled.

‘My mother is not to be involved. Is that clear?’ Father bellowed.

‘Yes sire,’ Casey said, lowering his glaze.

‘Now, stop wasting my time and go find those missing faeries,’ Father said.

Casey nodded and moved towards the door. My determination to talk to father regarding Granna's latest vision now wavered. He truly believed her premonitions were false. Changing my mind, I stepped back and moved quickly down the hall before General Casey crossed the threshold. There was one other person I could tell, but I had to do something before I saw her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Spell

Born with a Caul(Veil)

Angels and Demons