The Chronicles of Chemmis: Chapter Six

Hi Everyone, I hope you are enjoying the story so far...

CHAPTER SIX
STONE
Vira-na-Nog Province
 1000 Sunday

Ultan reared up almost unseating me, at the edge of the Mellow Marsh. The area stank of stagnant water and dead things, and my horse was more particular to oatmeal and a warm stables. Patting him I whispered words of comfort, and he neighed lowly, growing a little less skittish.  Dismounting, I found a fallen tree and tied his reins to it.

The rank smell of the Marsh, made my stomach turn. I drew out one of my satin handkerchiefs and secured it over my nose and mouth. Breathing a little easier, I studied the patches of dark brown rot, mixed with convulsing mud that made up the marshland.  I wished I didn’t have to do this, but there was no other way.

Oake’s Crossing was the shortest distance across the marsh in Vira Na Nog Province. If I wanted to get to the Willow Witch and be back by dusk I had to cross it. Remembering Granna’s words when she last bought me to Crossing, I looked for the grey clumps of solid land with mossy green grass and mapped out a path to the other side.

The first patch was a foot away, and then the next just about the same. The problem lay just near the middle, were I could make out two land patches four feet apart with jutting rocks. I would have to jump that, and land well. No-one survived a fall into the marshland. The mud was enchanted and sucked in all who fell in it, like a vampire drawing blood from a vein. Ultan whined pathetically as I gave him one last pat.

‘I’ll be back boy,’ I cooed in his ear.

He shook his head, fear shone in his eyes echoing the fear I felt in my chest. I knew it was foolish to go to the Willow Witch by myself but, no-one in the castle would give me a straight answer and I had to know more about this prophecy. After checking my quiver was secure in my backpack, I slung my bow across my shoulder and walked to the edge of the marsh.

Something wailed in the woods nearby just as I jumped across the shivering mud to the first piece of solid land. The ground was just about a squared foot in area, so I rested for a second before jumping to the next piece. The next land mass was slightly smaller but still comfortable to stand on. I leapt off it to the next.

After twenty jumps I was halfway across the marsh and exhausted. Catching my breath I scanned the way I had come. Ultan was the size of a toy horse from this distance, and he was rearing at his reins again. I could feel it too. Something was watching us. Knowing the creatures that inhabited the marshlands, I doubted it was friendly. The Marshland was an easy place to hide and reknowned for harboring faery fugitives.

Trees and prickly bushes created a thick border on either side of the swamp. A few thick looking saplings grew on the bigger pieces of land which littered the area, making the perfect hinging hole for something small. Glancing around I didn’t see signs of another living thing, but that did not mean they were not there. I knew this was the place Bogart's and other dark faery creatures called home. They opted to live here away from the laws of the faery King.

Impatient to get out of the open, I sort the next piece of solid land. It was two feet away and had a rocky edge rising out of it. Jumping I hoped to land squarely on it. I soared through the air, like a swallow and felt jubilant as air whipped through my hair. I was almost at the other side. 

Unfortunately, I must have misjudged something and landed on the jagged rock, knee first. Hearing the snapping of bone I cried out and rolled over to my side. Pain shot through my knee like a hammer to a stone. A small red smudge of wetness, blotched my pants and I watched in horror as it grew larger and warmer. I had just cracked my patella.

‘No!’ I yelled.

Drawing back the material I surveyed the damage. I knew it was definitely more than a graze, but still I was hopeful. I felt light headed, when I saw the white bone jutting through the sinews of muscle at my knee.

‘Damn’, I yelled and rolled on my back.

What do I do now? The pain intensified and I knew I could not leave the wound uncovered. Pulling my dagger from my belt, I quickly cut strips of material from my pants and made a makeshift bandage. Winding the bandage around my painful knee, eased the pain a little. I made a tight knot just under the knee to hold the material in place.

Maybe, I could still jump with the leg. Standing up slowly I gave it a shot, but winced when my left leg, touched the ground. The pain was really bad I didn’t know if it could sustain a jump. I would have to kick off on my right and land on it too. Glancing behind me, I realized the best option was to go back the way I came. I knew what to expect and where to jump. There was no way I could jump the rest of the marsh, and then walk up through the forest to the Witch's hovel, on this leg.
Just then, another wail filled the air. It was so loud and mournful, that I wanted to cover my ears with both hands. Frightened Ultan, reared back high and snapped his reins. Giving me a pathetic look he turned and galloped away.

‘Ultan, come back!’ I shouted but the stallion kept running away from the dreadful Marsh.

Dismayed I sat back on the rock. It was over. I was not getting out of this place alive. It was truly stupid to think I could go to the witch by myself. Now, I was fodder for what ever lurked in this swamp. Lying back down, I closed my eyes. This is what father knew and I was too stubborn to see. I was useless. I could not go on missions and fight for our people like my brothers. I was a failure.
 As I lay there feeling sorry for myself, the sun soared high in the sky and heat seeped through my body. I didn’t care about anything anymore. Ultan was gone and no-one knew where I went. Pain stabbed through me from my leg and I rummage through my backpack and found a nip of mead. Drinking it all in one go, I felt the pain dull and my eyes closed shut.

I don’t know how long I slept but I dreamt of my Grandmother, and she was angry at me. So angry that her yelling got me up. The sun had started its descent and the marshland began to look formidable. My leg did not ache as much, probably due to the effects of the mead. Maybe I could leap back to the crossing.

Just then a dart sailed passed my ear and I flinched. Drawing my backpack in front of me, I used it as a shield and peered around the edge of it. A tiny red cap stuck out from behind a yellow sapling, just a yard away from me. Goblins. This was not good. They were rumored to live around the marsh. Fear coursed through me.Goblins were the rebels of our race, drugging faeries and selling them at the Twilight Market. Their magic was a strong ancient type and they could easily overpower young elves like myself. My powers of glamour and seduction would be little use against them.

I had to make a move now or become a Gobi-Slave. Who knew what great torture, they would inflict on the son of their most hated rival. Looking around, I weighed my options. There was solid land a foot away from me, just to the right. I couldn’t make out the next solid land mass next to it, so that direction was a no go zone. To the left of me lay an island with two saplings. This was a foot and a half away, but the next piece of land near it was less than a foot in area. So I would be marooned there. Another bad idea.

Behind me there was a decent looking piece of land, also a foot away. I could see several other land mass of good size making a line of stepping stones to the edge. Why hadn’t I noticed them before? With no time to think about it too much, my decision was made. I would move forward.A tiny squawk sounded from behind me as another goblin peeked from a land mass a few feet to my right. It was definitely time to move. The next dart grazed my right arm as I leaped in the air. Landing on the right foot I felt alright, but gasped in pain when the left followed suit. Another dart flew past my head and I knew the pain would be worse if the goblins got me. Adrenaline surged through me, allowing me to jump to the next land mass and the next.

Gasping for air, I stilled for half a second and glanced back. There were six goblins in total and they were gaining on me. I leaped again. The pain was becoming excruciating and my eyes filled with unshed tears with each landing. Jump. Land. Jump. Land. I did this ten more times.
Just, then when I was almost at the other side, I landed on another landmass with jagged rock. Unfortunately, the foot that came down first was not my right. Jerking in pain, I slipped loosing my grip as my injured leg twisted. The goblins shouted something, but it was too late. I fell into the marsh. I screamed, but the sound was absorbed by the putrid mud that sucked me under.

Chs
Nivi





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Spell

Born with a Caul(Veil)

Angels and Demons