The Chronicles of Chemmis: Chapter Five

Hi Everyone the saga continues...here is Chapter Five


Chapter Five
Lindy
Venzu Village – 1000
‘She can’t be on the “Task Force”! She hasn’t even completed her final trial through the Magic Cave.’
I woke up to people shouting all around me. Dazed, I blinked until my vision became clearer. The room I lay in was circular and a musky smell drifted through the air. Trying to identify the odour, I looked around but my brain and eyes were out of sync.
The couch I lay on was warm and soft, and my feet were raised on something. Trying to sit up, I noticed Dillon. My feet were on his lap, and he was gazing at me with an intense look.
‘Hey there sleeping beauty. Lay back down. You hit your head pretty hard, when you blacked out,’ Dillon said.
He gently pushed me back down. A circle of people stood nearby and were arguing about something. I recognised Maxwell, Genevieve and Thomas but the other two were in robes, and had their backs to me.
‘Maxwell! You have to fix this. We can’t have an untrained witchling on such an important mission,’ said the man in the red robe.
 ‘What’s going on?’ I asked Dillon.
Dillon looked at me intently and frowned.
‘What do you remember?’ he asked.
I thought back. I remember the start of the meeting, and then everything became hazy.
‘There was a meeting and Maxwell was talking about the missing…’ I said.
Dillon nodded.
‘That’s right. Do you remember anything else?’ he asked.
Screwing up my eyes, I thought harder. Maxwell was on the stage and he was talking about the missing. Then, he said  spoke about a task force and he mentioned a few names.
 ‘Maxwell, said there was a “Finders Task Force” and four Venza people were on it,’ I said.
Dillon smiled at this and coaxed me to go on.
‘Do you remember who was on the task force?’
I remembered Maxwell, looking at me and then he said…
‘Yes. He named Thomas, Guinevere and…you,’ I said, looking at Dillon.
‘Anyone else?’ Dillon asked.
I shook my head. Things became blurry after that. Dillon was looking at me weirdly.
‘He named you Lindy. You and I, are on the “Finders Task Force”, ‘he said.
I sat up rod straight, as a flash of memory flowed through me. I remember Maxwell saying my name, then everything went black for a second. Then I saw flames, and a faery. A faery on fire, in a room full of mirrors.
That can’t be right. There was no faery in the meeting hall. I must have had another premonition. Dillon was saying something and  I tried to re-focused on his words, pushing back the vision of the burning faery.
‘Maxwell… named you. Then you yelled out and passed out.’
I frowned.
‘What do you mean I yelled out and passed out?’ I demanded.
‘You yelled out something in a strange dialect and passed out,’ Dillon said.
He shook his head, his face turned the colour of ash.
‘I was so stunned, I couldn’t catch you in time. You fell off the bench and hit your head, really hard,’ he said.
Reaching out for his hand, I gave it a squeeze.
‘I’m okay. It’s not your fault I fell,’ I said.
My voice must have gotten louder because the group stopped yelling and turned to us.
 ‘Lindy! Thank Isis you are alright’ said one of the robed figures, as she moved to my side. It was my mother.
‘Mum? When did you get back?’ I asked.
She had left on a mission to find the Wiseman Rezna two days ago, when the first Venzu child went missing.
‘I just got back before the meeting,’ Mum said kneeling at the couch.
Smiling at her, I took in her beautiful face. Blue smudges marred her clear green eyes. She would have ridden all night and day, until she found her charge. My mother was a dedicated and powerful witch, who never gave up.
‘How are you feeling?’ she asked.
‘I’m fine. I just need to get some fresh air to clear my head,’ I said holding onto my temples which held a dull ache.
My mother touched my temples tenderly and muttered something under her breath. The pain in my head dulled a little.
‘I will take you outside in a short while, but first we need to clear up this misunderstanding,’ Mum said.
 I focused on the other robed figure in the room. An elderly man who looked familiar, but I couldn’t quiet remember where I saw him before.
‘Look at her…’ he said indicating me, ‘…she is weak. She can’t be on the Task Force,’ said the old man.
Maxwell, glared at him but did not reply. Instead he looked to High Witch Thomas and Master Mage Guinevere for support.
‘I know it is an unusual choice Rezna, but the Elders decision is final. Lindy has been chosen,’ Maxwell said.
Rezna’s face turned molten red.
‘It’s the wrong choice. She hasn’t passed the final test. She isn’t worthy,’ Rezna shouted.
Thomas and Guinevere exchanged a look and appeared uncomfortable. Maxwell just glared at Rezna annoyed.
‘Who do you suggest should be on the task force, then?’ Maxwell asked Rezna.
Rezna looked at me and then back at Maxwell.
‘I think the last delegate should me someone with great experience and knowledge. Someone like me,’ he declared.
Maxwell shook his head.
‘We can’t just decide on this without the elders,’ he said.
‘I agree’, said High Witch Thomas, finally taking a stand.
‘This is not something we should decide on alone. The elders must be involved,’ agreed Guinevere.
Rezna’s face twisted with anger.
‘There is no time for such a discussion. I am the most experienced. It should be me and not a witchling…’ Rezna demanded.
Maxwell held up his hand to silence Rezna.
‘We all appreciate that you have come out of your pilgrimage to help us but, this is a decision for the elders,’ Maxwell said.
Rezna remained furious, and it looked like he wanted to say something more, but he held his tongue.
‘Maggie, Thomas and Guinevere,’ Maxwell looked at mum and the other two. ‘Please ask the elders to come back into the Meeting Hall.’
‘Mum, why did they choose me? I’m not qualified for this,’ I whispered.
‘Shh, my darling. We will fix this misunderstanding,’ she told me rising to leave.
Genevieve and Thomas were already out the door. Mum glanced back at me.
‘I will take care of Lindy,’ Dillon promised.
Rezna shot me a distasteful look and Maxwell catching this, motioned him to the door.
‘Rezna, come let us meet with the Elders quickly, and finalise this decision.’ Maxwell said.
Rezna gave me one last scowl and exited the room.
Dillion leaned over to me.
‘That was awkward,’ he said.
‘Yeh, really awkward,’ I agreed.
Are you feeling better?’ he asked.
‘Yeh, just a little sore that’s all,’ I said.
 ‘I’m worried about you. You didn’t respond for over five minutes after you passed out. I thought I lost you,’ Dillon said.
I bit my lip. I wanted to tell him what I saw but I didn’t understand it yet, so I didn’t. Dillon looked so worried, that I felt really terrible at keeping things from him.
‘Hey, I’m okay. I’ve just been a little out of it today,’ I faked a smile and ruffled his hair.
‘No Lindy. You are not okay. Jacob told me about this morning,’ Dillon said, his face still ashen.
‘Oh,’ I said, and dropping my eyes to my hands.
‘You had another vision didn’t you?’ he asked.
I didn’t answer, just traced the lines on my left palm.
‘Talk to me Lindy. What’s going on with you?’
I shook my head and looked at Dillon, all my fears in my eyes.
‘I don’t know. I think I might be loosing my mind,’ I said. Teardrops fell down my face, and I wiped them away as quick as they fell.
Dillon’s face softened and he drew me into his arms.
‘I don’t know what to do. Something is very wrong with me,’ I cried.
Dillon held me tighter.
‘It’s okay. I’m here now, we are going to figure this out,’ he promised.
I leaned my head on his shoulder. I wanted to believe him, but I knew the opposite was true. My visions were becoming worse and if I go on this mission, I would doom us all.
Chs
Nivi
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Love Spell

Born with a Caul(Veil)

Angels and Demons